The Episcopal City of Albi has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2010. The episcopal palace of rare power and the imposing cathedral are the two key monuments. You will remember the beauty of this exceptional site in your memories.
A unique urban brick complex
La brick is the architectural signature of the Episcopal City. It creates this unique urban atmosphere. It signs its identity, its particularity thanks to its palette of colors that vary according to the light, a variation of red, pink, ocher. This brick was used in the Middle Ages to build an urban complex that has become exemplary today, but also theunique legacy in Europe of this model of architecture. Made on site, on the banks of the Tarn, this material made with the earth from the bed of the river is omnipresent, both in religious and civil architecture. There Cathedral and Berbie Palace count among the largest fired brick constructions in the world.
An episcopal city, 4 medieval districts to explore
- le Castelviel, facing the bell tower of the cathedral and around the old medieval fortifications, is the cradle of the city. With its plots surrounded by medieval houses half-timbered and sunny house under the roof, it looks like a postcard
- le castelnau, a picturesque district with wide, straight streets, is the symbol of the modern development of the city in the XNUMXth century. There Old Alby house, near rue Toulouse-Lautrec, headquarters of the Albi Patrimoine association, is one of its emblems.
- le Saint-Salvi town, in the form of a ring or a wheel, surrounds the collegiate church and Saint-Salvi cloister. This is a remarkable ensemble erected from the XNUMXth century, combining Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
- the Coombs and banks of the Tarn whose Old Bridge, built around 1035 -1040 is the key to commercial prosperity in the Middle Ages. It is an important defense asset, especially in the 100th century during the XNUMX years war. It is one of the oldest bridges in France.
Photo spots for an unforgettable panoramic view
- Right bank of the Tarn, from the Botany Bay square, we take the full measure of the episcopal group
- Over the roofs of the historic center, from the roof of the Theatro
Visit the Episcopal City
- Explore the historic center on foot, following the heritage routes. Stroll from place to place through a veritable urban maze where it is fun to wander around and be curious. There walking tour of historic center is done very easily, going from one district to another, from one bank to another. You too will fall under the spell of the Episcopal City of Albi.
- Let yourself embark on the history of the city with the commentary from the tour guide :
Many other ideas for visits are suggested in the program Albi Curio'Cite
An immersive visit as if you were there!
Fly over, dive, push the door of the cathedral, zoom in... the effect is guaranteed! This virtual tour allows you to navigate 360° and capture the entire destination. Go on a visit!