THE FORTIFIED TOWNS ROUTE, A 153KM CIRCUIT
- Albi ;
- Labastide-de-Lévis (towards Marssac/Gaillac) Following the Tarn river towards Gaillacois, just a few kilometers from Albi and after Marssac, you reach the village of Labastide de Lévis and its cooperative wine cellar ;
- Castelnau-de-Montmiral (32km, towards Gaillac), a 13th century fortified town ;
- Puycelsi (13km towards Gaillac), a medieval village ranked as "the most beautiful village in France" and built on a rock dominating the Vère valley ;
- Penne (19km towards Gaillac), another medieval village built around its castle and overlooking the Aveyron gorges ;
- Vaour (41km towards Cordes), former base of a Templar commandership. Located at 2km away from Vaour, towards St-Antonin-Noble-Val, the Dolmen of the Peyra Levada is the largest in Tarn ;
- Cordes-sur-Ciel (25km towards Paris), built in 1222 by the Earl of Toulouse, the fortified town is one of the Top Tourist Sites of Midi-Pyrénées. You will be charmed by its streets bordered by superb Gothic facades and the ground floors which are often the home of craft boutiques. Standing on its rocky spur, Cordes dominates the valley and protects Gothic houses with sculpted facades by artisans behind its fortifications. You can easily access the city gates using the tourist train from the bottom of the village ;
NOT TO BE MISSED ON YOUR DAY TRIPS
Cooperative wine cellar of Gaillac wines - Labastide de Lévis - La Barthe - 81150 Labastide de Lévis
Tel: 05 63 53 73 63 - Booking advised
Here, you can find the main cooperative wine cellar of Gaillac and Tarn. The Labastide de Lévis cellar sells Gaillac wines: Primeur, AOC and even the perlé.
Oenopolis: an immersive and innovative visit in the world of vine and wine - wine tasting at the end of the visit
Reduced entrance fee for holders of the Albi City pass, free entrance instead of €5 + buy 8 bottles of wine and get 4 for free.
- The Yves Thuriès museum of sugar arts and chocolate in Cordes-sur-Ciel
33 grand rue Raimond VII 81170 Cordes-sur-Ciel - Tel: 05 63 56 02 40
At the top of the town, close to a panoramic viewpoint. From the start you will be seduced by the products from the Meilleur Ouvrier de France, Yves Thuriès. Crunchy, macaroons, ice cream, chocolates and many more will delight your taste buds ... Continue on your gourmet journey through the 2 rooms of the museum to discover works in sugar and chocolate following the mural.
Opening times: February - December 10:00am - 7:00pm
Entrance fees: Adults €5.30 - Children (6-14 years old) €4.30 Offer for Albi City pass holders, adults and children: €4.30
- The Modern and contemporary art museum - Cordes-sur-Ciel
Maison du Grand Fauconnier 37 Grand Rue Raimond VII 81170 Cordes-sur-Ciel
Tel: 05 63 56 14 79
Housed in the Maison du Grand Fauconnier, built during the 14th century, the museum offers both temporary exhibitions by contemporary artists and views on art from the 20th century. The various rooms present works by Yves Brayer, Maurice Baskine, Aline Gagnaire, Francis Meunier, André Verdet and a collection of friends: Picasso, Léger, Miró, Klee, Fromanger, Arman, Christo...
Opening hours: 16th March - 25th November daily except Tuesdays 10.30am - 12.30pm and 2pm - 6pm
Entrance fees: Adults €4.00 - Children (6-14 years old) €3.00 Offer for Albi City pass holders: €3.00