Around Albi, visit the Ségala Tarnais and discover the mining history of the Carmaux basin, appreciate the work of a glass-maker. Enjoy your visit to the Albi region!
THE SÉGALA TARNAIS, A CIRCUIT OF 51KM
- Notre-Dame de la Drèche (4kms towards Cagnac-les-Mines) 12th century sanctuary, reworked in the 19th century, place of pilgrimage. Don’t miss: the interior paintings from 1894, the bells. Magnificent panoramic view of Albi and its surrounding area.
- Cagnac les Mines (8 kms towards Carmaux) Guided tour of the mine galleries, open visit of the permanent and temporary exhibitions. During a 1-hour tour, you will discover the working and operating conditions for extracting this fossil fuel, you'll bear witness to the epic technical progress and social struggles.
- Carmaux (10 kms towards Rodez) In the Carmausin basin, coal mining dates back to the 12th century. It was the industrialist Gabriel de Solages who had the idea of installing a glass-making factory powered by Carmausin coal in the 18th century. Recommended stop-off at the museum/centre of glass art
- Monestiés (7 kms towards Carmaux) Medieval village described as "one of the most beautiful villages in France", sacred and contemporary art in the heart of a thousand year old city. Extend your visit in the steps of Toulouse-Lautrec in Aveyron...
NOT TO BE MISSED ON YOUR DAY TRIPS
- Departmental Museum-Mine at Cagnac les Mines - Underground galleries A mine of sensations!
2, avenue Saint Sernin 81130 Cagnac-les-Mines - Tel: 05 63 53 91 70
A few kilometres from Albi, on the slopes, become a miner, visit the underground galleries - Guided tour of the mine galleries, open visit of the permanent and temporary exhibitions (last guided tour leaves one hour before closing)
May to October: every day 10:00am - 12 noon and 2:00pm - 6:00pm
July & August: every day 10:00am - 7:00pm
November to April: Tuesday to Saturday 10:00am - 12 noon and 2:00pm - 5:00pm, Sunday 10:00am - 12 noon and 2:00pm - 6:00pm
Entrance fees: Full rate €7 - Albi City Pass holders €4
- Museum Centre of glass art in Carmaux- Exhibition, glass blowing demonstration.
Domaine de la Verrerie 81400 Carmaux - Tel: 05 63 80 52 90
16 kilometres from Albi, just a few kilometres from the Mine Museum in Cagnac... Unique in the great South-West, the MCDAV invites you to discover the skills and knowledge involved in glass blowing and contemporary international creations.
Glass blowing demonstration (every afternoon except Tuesday)
Open from 1st April - 15th October
Entrance fees: Adult €6 - Albi City pass holders: €4 - Children €4
- Discovery Pass Chapel of Saint James & Bajen Vega Museum in Monestiès
Tourist information point 14 place de la mairie 81640 Monestiés Tel: 05 63 76 19 17
Sacred and contemporary art at the heart of a thousand year old city - Combining 2 major sites, the Chapel of Saint James and its famous polychromatic laying of the body in the tomb “ nature’s grandeur” and the Bajen/Vega Museum
Opening hours: from 31st March to 26th October, timings according to season
Combined entrance fees: Adults and children over 14 years: €4 - Albi City pass holders: €3.50